Uff-dah. Day 8 of Metformin--the TypeII diabetes med used to treat insulin resistance and excess androgen in patients with PCOS. Most common side effects are gastrointestinal problems... Boy, they aren't kidding!
I emailed my CNM yesterday. I was dehydrated, not able to go to the bathroom (#1 or #2). She replied, "Those are unusual side effects, normally we see the opposite. Drink lots of water and eat fruits and veggies." Pretty typical advice for those symptoms. But, whooo! Just a couple hours later the morning dose of Metformin had time to make it's way through my system. The stomach cramps are intense!! When they happen I feel like my entire body is curling into itself. And less than an hour later, I'm leashed to the bathroom until the middle of the afternoon.
Everything I've read about the side effects say it gets better with time. Your body develops a tolerance to the drug and the gastro problems improve. Dear Lord, please let that be true! I will have to wait it out. In the meantime, I'm trying to find things that calm the nausea that seems to never break and boost my energy. Maybe I'll actually be able to leave the apartment today.
------
I started my cycle last night. So weird. I've never gotten my period in the evening. It's always a morning surprise. I also had menstrual cramps during the evening two days prior. But perhaps the most unusual factor of this cycle is that it started exactly 28 days after my last. First time in my life that has ever happened. Maybe it's a fluke, but it's also possible that my body is working itself out. I know it's not the drugs yet, I've only been on those for a week.
I'm trying to remind myself to not be surprised when things work. My husband and I have been praying for months about our ability to have a baby. I know God answers prayers, and I've seen Him perform miracles. So, why then am I surprised when prayers for my own benefit are answered. I've been praying for God's hand in this process longer than I've been receiving medical help, so honestly, I'm more inclined to believe that He's working on my behalf. I'm not saying that medicine won't work, or can't help, but maybe He just got the ball rolling and started prepping everything for me a little earlier. Whatever the outcome, I'm going to give Him credit. He makes all things work together for my good.
I'm feeling better about everything today. Probably just hormones, but yesterday was terrible. My improved mood is giving me more energy. So maybe if I can stay out of the bathroom for a few hours today I'll actually make it to the gym for a good sweat. I need it.
No comments:
Post a Comment